Pax et bonum.
Your Executive Committee met last Friday [10 July) via Skype – from Rome, Auckland, Adelaide, Lismore, Sydney and Thirroul!
Some salient items:
- The Australian Catholic Bishops Conference [ACBC) has implemented Vos Estis Lux Mundi by stipulating religious and clergy are required to use the approved Reporting Form and process. Details of the ACBC requirements may be found here: https://www.catholic.org.au/vosestisluxmundi
- Membership Renewal emails/forms were sent to all members … thank you to all who have paid up already!
- The finance report was presented for our financial year to 30 June. The Society remains in a strong financial The report will now be sent to the Auditors prior to presentation at the annual AGM.
- Membership in the Society is now 209 —
- Welcome to new member, Teena George, who works in the Wellington NZ Office of the tribunal
- Two members have resigned, Margaret-Mary Hayes and John Lucas
- Four members have had their membership lapse
- The revision of the Society’s website is progressing, and it envisaged that the new website will be launched at the time of this year’s Annual General Meeting of the Society.
- Volume 11 Number 1 2020 of The Canonist is currently being prepared for the printer, and should be distributed to members at the end of this month – noting that the postal service is somewhat slow at present.
- The Annual General Meeting of the Society is usually held during the Annual Conference;
the AGM must be held within five months of the end of our financial year, that is by 30 November; as there is no Annual Conference this year, the Executive Committee is investigating how we can hold the AGM, probably sometime in October, and in the Sydney area, so that some members may attend in person, and others by proxy [a quorum is 20 members present or by proxy], and at the same time, any member who wishes can “join” by meeting using Zoom …
as soon as arrangements are finalized, all members will be informed by email or mail.
Prior to the AGM, the Executive Committee’s Report and the Financial Report will be distributed.
- The 2022 Conference will be held in Rydges, Central Christchurch NZ, 5 to 8 September 2022.
- The Executive Committee will be looking at the Society’s By-laws to see if any need revision; the By-laws for the Election of the Executive Committee have been revised and will be published before the 2020 AGM.
- Vatican Websites that might be of interest to members:
- Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccscrlife/index_it.htm
- and another website of that Congregation congregazionevitaconsacrata.va
- an interesting letter to “General Moderators”, dated 1 July 2020, regarding the use of telecommunications for Chapters and meetings https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.trcri.org/resource/resmgr/2020_updates/virtual_chapters.ciclsal.pdf
- The Pontifical Council for the Interpretation of Legislative Texts http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/intrptxt/index_it.htm
- and another website of that Council http://www.delegumtextibus.va an interesting article on the latter website – “Practical Guide to Canonical Administrative Procedure in Penal Matters”
- The next meeting of the Executive Committee will be on Friday, 14 August 2020. If you have any agenda items, please let me know by 1 August.
Please remember before the Lord those members who are sick or infirm at the moment, as well as the people of Melbourne where our Conference was to be held – currently under some “lockdown” restrictions because of the pandemic.
Best wishes to all Members!